Sunday, November 11, 2007



There are many different things that I don’t like about this music video. One of the things that jumps out at me the most, is how sexist and crude it is. You can tell this through the lyrics and through the way they portray women in the video. This is an edited version of the song which cleans it up a bit but you still get a large amount of lyrics that deal with sex and a negative view of women that comes out in the song. The actual words to the song, if used anywhere else in society, could legitimately be used in a sexual harassment case. Basically through the lyrics the, “Webbie” is demanding sex. Over and over in the song multiple phrases can be found that contain negative connotations, double entendras, and sexual innuendos. In the video there are many women walking around in very revealing outfits. I’m not going to lie, I do enjoy looking at good looking women and some eye candy every once in awhile, but in the video there is no real purpose to it. It just comes off as bad taste to me. The girls are there just to be there, to associate rap music with good looking women. To me, far too much of rap and hip hop music is devoted to sex and drugs. The way this is glamorized is a bad idea when younger generations choose these people as role models. I do like to listen to rap occasionally but when there is thought and some kind of lyrical purpose behind the words, not just elementary rhyming. Also at the beginning of the video when Webbie is outside of a southern gas station rapping, this comes of as ironic to me. I find it hard to believe that a major rap artist as himself would ever leave the comforts of his mansion and limos and chaffeurs to go perform at some gas station. Most rap videos these days show the artist in some kind of humble beginnings wearing his now fancy name brand clothing, only pushing the rags to riches stereotype. Rap videos in my opinion are far too predictable and lude.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading your personal opinions about rap music. I don’t appreciate rap music either and it’s nice another student feels the same way. At times I feel like people like us are in the minority when music choices come into play. I learned a lot about how you are as a person through reading your blog. Most teenage boys are concerned with sex and alcohol and that doesn’t seem like the profile of you. You seem like you have your head on your shoulders just right.

I especially liked the fact that you mentioned about the younger generations choosing their role models. I would never ever let my kids look at anything like this! It is so full of ugly things that little kids’ eyes do not need to see. I don’t understand what the purpose is to music videos like this. You picked a good video, and very controversial at that, and I commend your reasoning throughout your blog.